Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Best ever sausage rolls. .


You have to make these! I know no one can resist a good sausage roll, and these are the best. This is my mum's recipe from back in the day, i have no idea where she got it from but honestly, it is the best ever. Always a huge hit, loved by big and little kids alike!

Ingredients
1kg best quality sausage mince 
1 onion grated
1 small carrot grated
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 thick slices of bread crust removed {i use sourdough or rye}
hot water
salt + pepper
frozen sheets of puff pastry
egg yolk for glazing
Optional 
1 small grated zucchini
finely chopped baby spinach
grated pumpkin
I always add the extra vegetables and use up whatever is in the fridge.

Method
Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
Place bread in a small bowl, barely cover with hot water, stand for 10 mins, drain, press out surplus water.

Combine bread, mince, onion, carrot, and whatever other vegetables you have decided to add. Salt, pepper
and mixed herbs. Mix with hands to combine.

This next part is completely up too you, depending on what size rolls you are going to make. This is what i do.
Cut pastry sheets in half  fill with mix along one edge, fold over and roll pastry over filling, glaze other edge with egg yolk to seal. Repeat until all mixture is used.

Place on baking trays and brush with egg yolk. Bake in hot oven for 10 mins then reduce heat to 160 degrees celcius for further 15 to 20 mins or until golden brown and crisp. Cut each roll to desired size and serve. 

For freezing
Cook for 15 mins at 200 degrees celcius.
Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap each roll in gladwrap and seal in an airtight container.
To reheat, preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius and bake frozen rolls for 20 mins until completely heated through, golden and crisp.


Enjoy! I guarantee you won't have any leftovers. I just made a double batch for freezing, the kids lunch and for my brother who arrives back home from America tomorrow. They are his favorite - hubbies too it seems, i think he just ate six while i wasn't looking . . i told you they were good!

x jody

6 comments:

  1. Oh yum! these look awesome, who doesnt love a good sausage roll? Thanks for visiting my blog, I'm Courtney from thatblogyoudo, just hopping over on the maxabella blog hop when i spotted this recipe! sometimes my comments dont come through but just a tip always have a look in your comment spam folder, for some reason blogger likes to banish me there for some reason... Who knows why, Blogger and i have issues sometimes :-)
    Great blog! I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Courtney! luckily i just stumbled across your comment, i think it was banished to somewhere unknown.. will keep an eye on the spam box, thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to become an organised housewife/mum (doing an abysmal job so far, especially since I keep finding such great blogs to read!)...and had totally forgotten about sausage rolls as a potential meal for the boys - love love love stumbling on things I've forgotten about. This recipe looks great, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying this out on the weekend! Will let you know how I go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious and super-easy! Will be making these with the boys these school holidays. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember at our night out that someone mentioned you cook the best sausage rolls ... so I came to check it out the recipe .. and am writing down the ingredients now... I have a little boy obsessed with sausage rolls and he wont eat much else at the moment.. so anything I can make will be a plus!

    Hope you are ok, so sorry for your loss
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, i love hearing from every one of you! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...