Saturday, 27 August 2011

So here i am . .


I have been in Sydney for the past couple of days, with the little ones, visiting my family. My Mums father, my Grandfather had a nasty fall and is quiet unwell. I hadn't planned to come, but he had asked for me and had been talking to the nurses about me, so i took it as a sign and hopped on the next flight i could.

My Grandfather is old, {although this is a photo of him when he was much younger.} and he has had a pretty good life. I spent a lot of time with him and my Grandma as a child, but I haven't seen him for quiet some time and although i visit my parents in Sydney occasional, my mother doesn't speak to him, {all families have there issues, and mine is no exception!} so in effect i don't often get to see him. In fact my children have never even met him. That is most of the reason i am here. I already felt so much guilt that each time i was in Sydney i had never had time to visit. I didn't want to carry that weight, if something more serious had happened, i would never forgive myself.

And so i am here, i am so glad i have made the effort and special trip to see him, it was clear the reason i was coming, and everything has gone smoothly. I took the little ones to see him in the hospital as soon as i arrived, he is battered, bruised, black, blue and grey. He is unwell and has other infections and underlying problems that have surfaced since his fall. The kiddies were shy and a little frightened i guess, we sat together, words were exchanged but we didn't talk much. We didn't need to. His face said it all. Then he thanked me, he said we were like angels, his favorite of all and he appreciated us being there. His eyes welled. As did mine. And that was all.

He has not worsened or improved since we have arrived, and with all the family animosity it is hard to know for sure what is truly going on or what the likely outcome is. I haven't booked our return flights, but will wait to see how things progress in the next day or so.

x jody



15 comments:

  1. oh jody, what a difficult situation to be in. families are complicated aren't they? i'm so glad you're there, for your sake and the children. they may ask in the future. hope things are okay over the next few days. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you for visiting your grandfather- it's so difficult. Hope things go well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jody - that sounds like a very emotionally draining situation. Take care of yourself. I hope your grandfather improves and things work out for the best. Take Care, Cazxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a tough one for sure. we have a similar situation in our family. i hope your time in sydney is no more difficult that what it has to be. take care and keep well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As difficult & emotional as I am sure you trip was you will always be glad you went. I hope that your mum can/has make peace with the problems she and your grandfather have had, not judging...I have a terribly dysfunctional family on my mums side so I've seen my mums ups and downs over the issues they have. Look after yourself. Tatum xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for you. What a difficult situation to be in, my family have similar issues and it makes me so uncomfortable some times to be the one who doesn't have problems with anyone else. Fingers crossed that everything works out well. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that your Grandfather will be ok. No matter what happens or why your family don't talk, you will feel better for having seen your Grandfather & that your children got to meet him. I'm lucky that my family all talk but not so lucky that none of my Grandparents are alive. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a strong thing to do, going with your gut. Families are funny things, full of all sorts of stuff, but you did what you felt was right.
    Sending you love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jodi, that must be a hard situation for you to be in.

    I wish all the best to your Grandfather where ever this journey takes him.

    You will never forget making this trip.

    Thoughts are with you guys at this time.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At times like this, the family issues can seem so trivial (and yes, we all have them!). Well done for being above it all and going to visit him with your kids. I'm sure it means the world to him... x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you and the kids are just what was needed - so wonderful that you could go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh poor Jody, what a difficult situation for you. Though I'm sure you feel somewhat relieved that you have made the move sooner than later, because regrets in life are so damaging. At least you can rest easy knowing that you did make the effort, for you and your darling littlies. Well done on taking the first step xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've been in my thoughts a lot over the past few days and I hope it's all going ok. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope everything will be okay. So awesome of you to make the effort to see him, he'd appreciate it immensively. :) take care xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Jody what a difficult situation but you're most definitely doing the right thing and i'm sure your grandfather appreciates your efforts.
    Thinking of you xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, i love hearing from every one of you! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...