Friday, 16 December 2011

Its Never Too Late For Pudding

I have taken a bit of a step back this week. The little ones have been tired and grumpy, well we all have been. I decided to concentrate on them, give them my full attention, do a few extra festive activities and try to tick a few things off my to-do list! 

Not sure I accomplished all I set out too, but on the most part we've had a good week, shaken the grumps away, had lots of fun and done lots of Christmas baking! {good for the kids, not so good for my non-existent waist line!}

The highlight would have to be the Christmas puddings, like most things, I like to leave them to the last minute. I find making them at this time gives a lighter pudding, which I prefer. This is Stephanie Alexander's recipe from The Cooks Companion cookbook {with the edition of dried figs}. It's a great simple recipe that I have been using for quiet a few years, its not as heavy as other puddings, always seems to work well and everyone loves it!

It's never too late to make Christmas puddings!

Ingredients
360g butter
180g plain flour
2 1/2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
260g seedless raisins
260g currants
125g candied peel
180g sultanas
180g dried figs chopped
180g dark brown sugar
grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 nutmeg, freshly grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 eggs
100ml brandy
600ml milk

Method
Grate butter to achieve 360g {measure carefully.} Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. The mixture should be fairly wet. Increase milk a little, if necessary. Leave overnight.

Next day, taste a little and check it has enough spice for your liking and adjust if required. {I always forget to do this and have never had a problem.}

Pack mixture into 2 x 1 litre buttered basins/pudding tins, cover each with a disc of greaseproof paper and a double sheet of foil. Tie securely under the rim with a doubled length of string and replace lid if it has one. 

Stand each tin on a wire rack inside a stock pot and add boiling water to come two-thirds up sides of basins. Boil for 6 hours, topping up stockpots as needed with more boiling water. Cool and store in the fridge until Christmas Day.

The puddings will take at least 1 hour's boiling on Christmas Day to be really hot, but can boil away for a lot longer. Serve with custard or ice-cream or both and flame the turned out pudding with brandy if you like.









My little ones love cooking, so this was no exception and it's tradition for everyone to have a stir and make a wish!

Are you a pudding fan? Do you make your own?


How has your week been? 


Have a lovely weekend!

x jody



13 comments:

  1. Sadly, I am not a pudding as I don't like sultanas, currants, raisins etc... but I do love the brandy sauce that goes with Christmas pudding. Might have a go one year at coming up with a pudding recipe that I do love... figs are a great idea to add.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had the grumps here too. Must be the time of year. We are not a pudding family, but I'll tell you what will be on the table on Christmas day - your ice cream cake!! It was a massive hit at a recent family dinner. Thank you!! Your two littlies look like they were enjoying helping. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see you back here and good on you for stepping back for a bit Jody. Your little ones are so industrious, they always look like they are taking so much in... darn good helpers there :o)
    The pudding looks lovely and while I'm not the greatest fan, I do enjoy a little bit with some brandy custard at Christmas time ;o) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh, i love pudding! years ago i was travelling over christmas so missed out on mum's pudding. i made her make me one upon my return - in february! this year we have a gluten-free butterscotch pudding. store-bought but i'm looking forward to it. next year i'll try my own...

    funny old week here. love to see you soon x

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. bowie's sitting on my knee demanding "i want to see pictures of riley and lyla again" and making me scroll up-and-down, up-and-down, up-and-down!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been a bit stepped back of late too. It's kinda nice to think about other things. Adorable photos. Enjoy the chrissy pud :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't really like Christmas pudding or brandy butter, but I love the savory Christmas options we have the salmon, the salads, the cheese platters...we start tomorrow, nom nom nom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how cute are your little ones baking!? so lovely. i LOVE christmas pudding. my uncle used to pop a pound in our puddings when we lived in the UK as kids, such lovely memories. any excuse to pour loads of custard over it and i'm there. i'm making a trifle and gingerbread & sticky pear cake for christmas dessert this year as i can just sense the temps are going to soar! (by saying this i hope it's freezing instead) glad the grumps have left. my week was so long and tiring but today has been a breath of fresh air. hope the good vibes continue. enjoy that glass of vino you lovely mama. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. just gorgeous jody! I love that they are busy cooking with you...i do love a fine pudding. hope your week leading up to the big day of christmas is going well...see you in the new year xx dayle

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I am being really honest I am not a big christmas pudding fan - I tend just to eat the custard and the cream, and lots of it.
    But how gorgeous are your little helpers - what a good mumma you are!
    My kids, well I love them to pieces, but at the moment they are giving me the shits. Am I allowed to say that? I think we are all a little bit tired too - here's to a good rest over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Gran used to start the pudding straight after Christmas, ready for the year after... Seems a bit weird now that I think about it!! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're kids are so CUTE!!! Great pudding recipe :) Can't wait to try it out with my nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am not a fan of pudding, but I must say your recipe sounds really yummy, and I don't think I would say no when there are two cute helpers! Have a beautiful christmas lovely xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, i love hearing from every one of you! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...