Thursday, 16 February 2012

Chocolate Oat Cookies

I love to bake simple things at home, either for us to have for morning tea or to take along to a play date. I always find it far easier to chuck something together quickly at home {while the little ones watch a couple of episodes of Peppa Pig} opposed to rushing and dragging them to the shops to pick up something. Simply because most of the time that 'something' will be either pretty ordinary, a total rip off or worst of all both.

These little beauties are a Nigella recipe. There simple, quick to make and have oats in them unlike regular chocolate biscuits, that makes them healthy, right?? Oh and did I mention they are delicious!



Ingredients
1/2 cup plain flour
75g rolled oats
35g good-quality cocoa powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
100g unsalted butter
50g caster sugar
75g light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
125g milk or dark chocolate chips

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line two trays with baking paper.
Combine flour, oats, cocoa powder and bicarbonate soda in a bowl. Set aside.
In an electric mixer, beat butter, caster sugar and brown sugar together until the mixture is thick and pale.
Beat in the vanilla, followed by the egg, then slowly beat in the dry flour mixture.
When it is all mixed together, fold in the chocolate chips.
Roll handfuls of batter between your hands to form cookies, about the size of ping-pong balls. Very slightly flatten them before spacing them wide apart on the baking trays.
Cook in the oven for 12-15 minutes, the time will depend on the size of the cookies and your oven, but I mine were ready at 12 minutes.
When they are done they would have spread into big squidgy discs. They will feel soft to the touch but will harden a little as they cool.
Remove from the oven and stand on trays for a minute. Then remove to cool on a wire rack.

Too easy. Just try not to eat them all at once!

xx


9 comments:

  1. With a little one who loves to shadow me in the kitchen, the quicker and easier the recipe the better as far as I am concerned...otherwise it takes hours just making one batch :)
    So trying these.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love a bit of Nigella, need a new lunch box cookie, wil try these this weeked...thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh they do look yummo and I wanted to bake something tomorrow....bonus all the ingredients are in my cupboard already. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yum. I think I've made them before. Were they in a Delicious mag? I like to challenge myself to whip up a batch of biscuits in the time it'd take to get to the shops and back. Anzacs are always a winner there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh I haven't come across this Nigella recipe before ~ Yummy! They're a healthy batch of cookies to me ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum Jody! A new recipe to try, hooray!
    Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yuuuuum! (I just sang that)
    So on the making list!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Think i might just have to do this with my oats that i hate lol.. yum xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look divine Jody, just my kind of bikkie. Thanks for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, i love hearing from every one of you! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...