Monday, 27 February 2012

Vanilla cupcakes with fresh strawberry icing

With Lyla's birthday coming up next month, I have been trying out a few new recipes that I can hopefully use on the day. I am not that keen on highly artificially coloured party food, so anything with a little fruit in it is good in my books. I haven't quiet decided if I am having a party for her or not yet, but either way these will definitely be included! 


Ingredients
225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
225g caster sugar
4 large eggs, best quality you can
225g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting 
1 vanilla bean or teaspoon vanilla extract
100g fresh berries (raspberries, strawberries or blackberries) 
150g icing sugar 



Method
Preheat the oven to 190˚CBeat the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon or an electric beater until very light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each one in well before you add the next. Sift in the flour. Add vanilla and fold the mixture together.
Line muffin tin with paper cases, I used a mini one {this recipe said it would make 18 cupcakes but using a mini tin one I got 48!} evenly divide the mixture. Put the muffin tins into the oven and bake for 15 minutes for regular or 10-12 for mini. If a skewer comes out clean they’re cooked, if it’s slightly sticky they’ll need a bit longer until cooked through and golden on top. If you cook them for too long, though, they will go dry so keep an eye on them.Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.


Icing
Mash up 50g of your chosen berries with a fork or whiz them in a food processor. Then pass it through a sieve to make it lovely and smooth. Sift over the icing sugar and mix until you have a smooth paste.
When the cakes have cooled completely, dip them in the icing so that they are nicely coated, then top with fresh cut fruit, if that's what you are using. The kids coated some of theirs in sprinkles too, which were a big hit! 

This recipe is by the fab Jamie O {but I tweaked it a little} you can find the original here.


I loved them, maybe even a little too much. It made so many I have even frozen a batch too {un-iced} so will let you know how they hold up.


Do you have any go-to recipes you always use for your children's parties?


x j

11 comments:

  1. Yummy! I love strawberry flavoured cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can smell the fresh strawbs now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so making these!! Thanks for sharing - they look delicious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your recipes Jody! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delish! I have lots of recipes, most of which involve artificial stuff so you won't like them. For parties, all bets are off at our place! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh these look so berry sweet, all strawberry shortcake like. I do love my baking treats, but all of mine are pretty bad for the waistline xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You KNOW I'm going to be trying these! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delish!
    I am the same as you for parties. I do things like mini quiches, homemade sausage rolls, popcorn, veggie sticks and homemade dip, fruit skewers and mini cupcakes too (or Little Miss's 2nd bday I made mini carrot cupcakes). All bets are off when it comes to the cake though - that always tends to be full of sugar and colour!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo look at that dripping gooey icing - Yummy! What little girl wouldn't want these on her birthday?! I'm not a little girl and it's not my birthday and I certainly want one :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Ladies!

    Maxabella, I do pretty much the same as Amelia, I am not totally strict, I just like to limit the amount of crazily coloured food at parties, of course there has to be some!! These are still full of sugar anyhow, just the idea of fruit makes me feel a little better. I know it sounds crazy! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, i love hearing from every one of you! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...