Friday, 23 March 2012

Lyla Eve - the story of your birth













On the eve of your birthday, it seems only fitting that I share this story. It is a simple story but one I have wanted to write for sometime now. I just didn't know where to start, I still don't, but i'll do my best.

In July 2009 I hadn't really been feeling very well, I convinced myself that my symptoms were all pointing to pregnancy, even though MrS thought otherwise, I did a pregnancy test. Negative. A week later I was still feeling unwell, I sneakily did another test. Positive. I couldn't believe it, I was shocked even though I was sure I was pregnant before taking the test, I did another couple to be sure. I called MrS in and told him to take a look in the bathroom where I had left the last test. He confirmed it, two pink lines, clear as day, you were on your way.

It was such a surprise, we hadn't really been actively trying to conceive, but had decided that since Riley was nine months old and just weaned himself, that we would just go with the flow and see what happened, it took us a while to fall pregnant the first time, surely it would again? Apparently not.

The first trimester was so hard, much harder than it was with Riley. It was different, this time I had terrible morning/all day sickness, I couldn't stomach anything apart from rice, jam toast and black tea. I also had low vitamin D and iron as well as incredibly tiredness. I found it so difficult to deal with those things while running around after Riley who was only just starting to find his feet. I couldn't have done it without MrS, he was amazing.

Thankfully it all improved during the second trimester and I could enjoy the more exciting parts of pregnancy, we decided not to find out what sex the baby would be, but preferred to keep it a surprise. I was obsessed with names and would spend hours reading and looking up names, I loved so many and simply couldn't make up my mind!

I was very lucky to have uncomplicated pregnancies and was able to see a midwife at the hospital for all my checkups which was great, it meant I had less waiting for doctors and I had some really lovely midwifes taking care of me.

We were all so excited and couldn't wait for your arrival. I would dream of you and would imagine what you would look like. I loved being pregnant, every part of it, but mostly feeling your every movement. Your kicking and wriggling was always so reassuring to me. And you had the hiccups constantly.

We made all the preparations we could for your arrival, I washed all the little newborn clothes, shopped, cooked, baked and froze meals. We spent lots of family time together, talking and pondering about what our life as four would be like. We arranged for my brother to stay with us for the last weeks, so that he could be here to take care of Riley, my labor with him had been only four hours so I was expecting this one to be even quicker.

Your due date was the 24th of March, but I didn't quiet believe it, I thought you would arrive a week or so early like Riley did. I told everyone you were due on the 20th. But that was not the case, my family arrived to welcome you and as the days past by I grew more anxious of your arrival. As I readied myself for bed one evening, I knew you would make your appearance sometime soon, I could feel it, although I had no pain or discomfort I knew you were close. I laid some clothes out for MrS and myself, popped a few last minute things into my bag and settled in to bed. I slept soundly until 4am when I was woken by what I thought to be a strong braxton hicks, it passed fairly quickly and I dozed back to sleep. At 5am I woke again, this time with a little more discomfort and stronger period pain type feeling, I knew this was it and got up to go to the toilet, as soon as I did my waters broke. I came back to bed and woke MrS, who rang the hospital as I got dressed. The hospital were pretty keen for me to stay at home and in no hurry to come in, they didn't think I sounded like I was in labor. I thought different and insisted we were coming in. Although my contractions were no worse than strong period pain they were coming fast and often. I had downloaded some contraction timing app on my phone which I used for about 10 mins, but each was about 2 mins apart. Time to get to the hospital. We took our bags to the car, woke my brother to let him know we were leaving and he was to look after Riley.

By this time it was about 5:30am, we piled into the car, it was an uncomfortable trip, the contractions started coming thick and fast and were becoming more painful. 5:45am we arrived at the hospital they directed us to a birthing suite and told to wait for a midwife to come. I knew this was it now, I knew you wouldn't be to far away. I made a few trips to the toilet, stomped the pain out around the room. MrS and I chatted in between contractions and made jokes as we waited to be seen. Then transition, I started getting a little panicy, no one had seen us yet, I told MrS if this baby was going to take any longer I wanted drugs. The midwife and doctor arrived around 6:10am, I was pacing the room, they still didn't really think I was seriously in labor, I asked for an internal or something at least, I laid on the bed and then I heard the midwife say 'I can't feel anything..' great I thought, this is going to be a long day. Then she explained that I was fully dilated, that's why she couldn't feel anything! I got back off the bed and continued with my pacing, stopping now occasionally as each wave of pain came. The doctor insisted I have a cannula put in my arm, which I wasn't too happy about but complied. The doctor left and the midwife asked me if I was ready to push and I said 'yes'. I pushed with each contraction and was guided by the midwife, who's name I don't remember, she was wise and direct and it worked for me.

You came into this world in such a hurry, it took you a few seconds to take a breath, the midwives gave you a good rub and then I heard the cry I had been longing for, 'it's a girl' MrS exclaimed, I couldn't believe it, tears flowed as they past her straight to me and I held her close. She feed almost immediately and nuzzled into my chest. I love the warmth of her body on mine. Such an amazing and exhilarating feeling, so much love, words can't even describe.

You were born weighing 7lb 11oz. At at 6:35am, on 24th of March my very own birthday, in roughly 2.5 hours from my first contraction. We named you Lyla Eve, a name MrS suggested, a name we loved. You were tiny and so beautiful, your face was covered in red little spots, from the pressure of your speedy birth we called them strawberry freckles, you were the sweetest thing and still are.

I loved birthing you. And I know I am so lucky that it went so smoothly, that it was all surprisingly bearable and that I didn't need a single stitch. Thank you.

I feel so blessed to be your mama, so blessed to have you in our lives and grateful to share this special day together.

You have grown so much in these last two years, the time has past so quickly yet I feel like I have known you always. We are so similar, strong, determined, independent, generous and kind. I see so much of me in you, I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Happy birthday gorgeous girl, you are so loved.

xx

30 comments:

  1. Wow, what a super fast and amazing birth! Big happy birthday (to you both), for tomorrow. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful story.
    And what a great date, that is my mum's birthday too

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely story, beautifully told
    and happy birthday to you both for tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was such a special read, Jody. Happy birthday to both of you! What an amazing present each and every year. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful story Jody, gorgeous pictures and gorgeous girl! Big happy birthday to lovely Lyla and of course, to you!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jody, wipeing a tear from my eye....Have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful story. beautiful photo's!!!

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your story Jody, very precious.
    Wishing you both an amazing birthday :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to both of you! Thanks for sharing your beautiful birth story. Mine were very similar to yours. Wishing you all a very special day tomorrow. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh.. {tear} beautifully told jody! I love a birth story. and the photos, oh the photos. I wonder if I will ever stop feeling clucky..??!?!? cole and eliot were fast too, 2hrs 50mins for cole and about an hour and 40mins for eliot, but I must say far more painful than ruby (12hrs). have a beautiful celebratory weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, happy birthday to you and your sweet baby girl. What a beautiful story x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh LYLA, you are divine, & you were so kind to your Mama!

    I hope you're enjoying this world little girl :)

    & a big happy birthday!

    BEAUTIFULLY TOLD! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Jody, they are some of the most beautiful photos I've seen. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading birth stories - thank you for sharing Lyla Eve's - she made a fast entry to the world (I had one of those too). Happy birthday to you both! xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh lordy ! I thought I was already clucky.....but that beautiful post just made me REALLY clucky.
    Enjoy the birthday celebrations. Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved reading that, thanks so much for sharing your beautiful story x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous photos, and a lovely birth story. Happy birthday to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful beautiful story. What a dream labour. And she really is such a sweet little girl. I can't wait to see her again. That last photo of her at her party - perfect.
    Happy birthday again to you both. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh birth stories give me goosebumps (in a good way)! Beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I love this. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. I love that one minute you have a big belly, and the next there is a little baby. Well, it's not quite THAT easy. But oh, the memories!

    Happy Birthday to the both of you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh so beautiful! And the pictures are divine, love the one of big brother looking down at little sister looking up at him.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a gorgeous story and sentiment to your daughter. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. How wonderful!! I do love happy birth stories, and she will so love to read this when she is older. My older boys used to regularly have me re-tell their birth stories. AND a treat to see a scrunched up baby face, dear little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So so beautiful Jodie. Happy birthday to you both.

    I love the "it's bright out here!" photo. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, such a quick birth!

    Thank you for sharing. My births were alot different to this, so I really enjoy hearing such different experiences.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Naw such beautiful pictures Jody! Hope you both had a beautiful birthday x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I didn't know she was born so quickly.

    I love birth stories and this is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I could read birth stories all day (still)!! This one was beautiful. Just goes to show that a mama always knows too x

    ReplyDelete
  29. So gorgeous my dear, I always get teary reading birth stories. Miss Lyla is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, i love hearing from every one of you! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...