Thursday, 12 April 2012

Raspberry and orange butter cake


You know I am a berry girl, and this just gets me every time. The addition of the orange gives it a nice little lift without overpowering. I love this cake, it has been a favourite here for years. I can't even remember were the recipe originally came from, but it is so simple I can almost make it without one now.

Ingredients
125 unsalted butter
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup milk
1 cup frozen raspberries
finely grated zest of 1 orange {optional}

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees and grease and line a 20cm round cake tin or similar.

Cream butter, sugar and orange zest {if using} in an electric mixer until very pale and fluffy {the sugar should almost be dissolved into the butter}


Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition.


Add the flour and milk alternating a little at a time and mixing well until each is combined.

Using a wooden spoon gently fold in half of the raspberries into the mixture.


Spoon half the mixture into prepared tin. Sprinkle with remaining raspberries. Then add the remaining mixture and smooth top using a spatula.


Bake for 35-40 mins. Cake is ready if top is golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean.

Allow to cool in tin for 10 mins and then transfer to a wire rack.

Sprinkle with a dusting of icing sugar.


Lucky for my waistline this cake wasn't for me this time. I packaged it up for a friends birthday, and delivered it to her early the next day.


Do you ever give food gifts?

x jody

18 comments:

  1. Yummm!! Love raspberries... might need to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake sounds and looks so good! I'll have to give it a try. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious, and what a lovely idea to give it wrapped up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I'm prone to giving chocolate chip biscuits as gifts! I love raspberries too. This is going to be my first attempt at a modification for me! I'll let you know how it goes.

    Oh, and my boys might... ahem... be having sausage rolls for dinner. Thank you SO much! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jody seriously love how you've wrapped that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks absolutely divine Jody and what a lovely gift. I made Easter chocolates as gifts, but I rarely do cakes or bikkies as gifts, it's a good idea, thanks for the inspiration. And orange and raspberry, is a unique combo by the way xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. How gorgeous!! Yes, i always come armed with baked goodness when i'm invited anywhere (suitable) & when i went in for my hand operation (both hands) a lovely blogger sent me a huge parcel of cookies for my 4 children, for their recesses during that week. NOW that was gorgeous & delicious, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful gift.......and I know what I'll be baking tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! and I can actually eat this now - I couldn't eat berries while feeding with any of mine, too much wind for them. I love your wrapping, just gorgeous. and yes, I have given food before, people seem to be surprised and appreciative. this one's going in the recipe folder x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm making that tomorrow! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum again Jody! I will be putting this in my recipe folder. I have made little food gifts, but am starting to think of doing it a little more, as people seem to love them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ps - I tagged you over at mine, even though I know you aren't up for lots of questionnaires ;) http://milkpleasemum.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/sunshine.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to make this...it look delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fantastic! Aha, and I have frozen rasps and am now sending out a friend to get an orange. Breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The orange didn't arrive but I made the cake anyway, no cake pan here but it made lovely muffins and the ten of us ate them warm from the tin - absolutely scrumptious. And I mention them as a lovely, healthy enough treat on my post today on The Mum's Diet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my goodness, that cake looks delish! I haven't given a real food gift before but I will in the future after reading your post. It's a great idea! Colleen
    PS found your blog via Little Green Shed

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, i love hearing from every one of you! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...