Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Dinner discussions


I hesitate using the term meal planning here, I'd hate for you to think I am really that organised.

I'm not.

But I do like to put a little thought into what we might eat each week. I like to shop locally at the market or farmers markets, using whats in season and avoiding the supermarket when I can, which is near impossible. My house is usually stocked with an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables, fridge full to the brim. Normally I just decided whats for dinner on the day using whats on hand and utilizing what I have left in the fridge or freezer to minimize waste.

I hate waste.

But before our trip to the market this week, I decided to get the cook books out for some inspiration. I sat on the lounge room floor with kids and flicked through some of my favourites. We chatted and looked, they pointed things out that they liked and we discussed each suggestion. Riley made a list of the meals he wanted by drawing each in his notebook, burgers were first up with chips on the side, followed by chicken and sausages. I filled in the gaps, made a few suggestions and compiled my list. They were both really looking forward to our trip to the market to shop for all the ingredients we would need and were so excited about the meals we had planned.


I love market days and the overflowing fruit bowl that results. So do the little ones. This meal planning might not be too bad either, I mean I didn't strictly plan every meal for the week, it's more of a loose plan. Like Riley's suggestion for chicken, I thought I would make a chicken curry but decided to make Ruths southern style chicken instead. Which was a huge hit. Riley has helped me cook each meal, simply by getting things from the fridge, mixing, mashing and supervising! He loves being involved, it gives him some responsibility and makes him feel special and needed. After each meal is prepared, like every night, we sit down at the table and eat together. I really think this is so important and a main part of the reason my kiddies are such good little eaters. It is one of my favourite times of the day, when we all sit down together and share a meal. Of course the kids are sometimes ratty, a little crazy and they don't always like what I make. But it is a little ritual we all love, it's the normal for us, a time to be together as a family, to chat, laugh, try new things and learn. Added to that I loved sitting down with them and discussing our dinners this week. It may just be our new thing. 


So tell me, do you do a weekly meal plan? and do you eat with your little ones?

x jody

11 comments:

  1. Yes, I do meal plan lovely but it isn't super prescriptive to the day and letter and sometimes I make up a new recipe based on the same ingredients. I involve Bebito & Mr offers his rather lengthy opinions too. I usually cook in the morning if I can and try to do as much extra as I can for freezer meals for weeks like this one when everything is all too much x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WISH I had a weekly meal plan Jody, though I am getting better at working out what to buy when I do the groceries... to enable little wastage and a bit of variety. It really is a full time job feeding a family healthy, tasty meals every day. Sounds like you made the most of it with the littlies getting involved too xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely idea to get the kids involved. I try to have a bit of a plan - I find we eat better if I know what we're having. And I tend to buy less so less waste - which I also hate. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute, you have a little helper. The fruit and veg from the supermarkets is rubbish, goes off in 2 days. Give me the Queen Vic markets any day (bonus is we get a burek as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a good meal planner at all - I try, but usually change my mind as to what I fee like/forget to get meat out of the freezer etc.
    We do always eat together though, my husband leaves work "early" so we always eat together, then he does more work after our daughter goes to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meal plan very loosely. I generally have a fair idea of what I will cook over the fortnight when I shop, that way I don't over spend, but I don't follow it rigidly and chop and change to suit.
    Dinner time for us has always been about sitting down together as a family. It gives us a chance to chat about our day and catch up. It is getting harder now though with both our big boys working as their days can be long so Sunday's have become the one day where we all come together.
    Love how you involve your littlies Jody :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meal Plan!!! That sounds way to organised for me, me being the head chef in this house of tricks. I never know who just might see the light on and pop on in. The sailing crew, mother and father of Rowan, daughter number three who now lives back in my lovely guest room, the old man down the road who gets very lonely now his wife has passed away.......So I cook really big pots of delicious goodness......and have many plates in the ready.
    I do love the growers market and man can I get carried away with the produce! I have enjoyed going to the beach shack when it's only just he sailor and I, then I plan something a little more romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We meal plan. I kind of need to cause I'm always the one to ask what do you want to eat I have no idea. Then I'm not prepared to cook cause I haven't got all the ingredients. So I meal plan so I can get the stuff that I need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't always meal plan but when I do, oh, how much more relaxing the week is. So why don't I always do it??? At the moment, I limit eating with the kids because it's too hard to digest food with all the chaos ;). We eat together a few nights a week, but the rest of the time I feed them early then enjoy a relaxing meal later with hub.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am trying very hard to be a meal planner. The weeks I manage to get there are much smoother and less fraught. I hate that "what's for dinner?" feeling mid-afternoon, I really do.

    Including the kids in the planning is brilliant! They seem more engaged with market going too. Were they better behaved, by chance?!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am trying to be a meal planner too - trying being the operative word.. there may only be one day a week where I have inspiration to try new things or my brain is able to handle thinking up seven whole interesting meals for dinner - shock horror! lately, most days I struggle for inspiration but loathe cooking the same things over and over. I must say the last week we had a great variety with some new meals incorporated. and less waste! hurrah to meal planning - however loose it is ;) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, i love hearing from every one of you! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...