Thursday, 6 February 2014

quinoa salad



My friend Milina made this delicious salad when we visited over the holidays, it is her version of the famous Hellenic Republic's Cypriot grain salad. I have thought of it almost everyday since she made it. For me it is the perfect combination of salty, sweet, with added crunch and nutty texture and loaded with an abundance of fresh herbs. Perfection. I was so grateful when she passed on the recipe to me, and so now I'm passing it on to you.

serves 8
ingredients
1 bunch coriander chopped
1/4 bunch parsley chopped
1/2 red onion finely diced
1 cup quinoa (or freekah)
1/2 cup puy lentils
2 tbs toasted pumpkin seeds
2 tbs tasted chopped almonds
2 tbs toasted pine nuts
1 tsp cumin seeds ground
2 tbs capers
1/2 cup currants
juice 1 lemon
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
salt

method
Rinse and cook quinoa and lentils separately according to packet instructions.
Drain well and allow to cool.
Toast seeds and nuts in a dry pan over medium/low heat until lightly golden and allow to cool slightly.
In a medium bowl place the coriander, parsley, currants, red onion, quinoa, lentils, capers, cumin, toasted seeds and nuts, lemon juice and olive oil.
Mix well and season to taste.
Serve with natural yogurt sweetened with a little honey if you like.


This salad lasts happily for a day or so in the fridge, so its a great one for the heatwaves we've been having. Make it in advance so its ready to go for an easy lunch or dinner. Super filling, simply delicious and nutritious to boot. Thanks again Milina, I've been flogging this recipe over the last couple of weeks.

xx


3 comments:

  1. I *think* this is somewhat the same as the quinoa salad my sister-in-law makes, I know it's a Hellenic Republic one too. It's ah-mah-zing! Hers has pomegranate seeds too though. I'm definitely making this soon after we settle into a new home in the next few weeks - WITH A STOVE THAT CAN SIMMER! Our current stove only has high burn-the-crap setting or nothing, making quinoa cooking slightly challenging. Nom nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...oooh and that plate! Love it, I want to build up a collection of blue and white vintage goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MUST HAVE THIS! I was just looking at the Hellenic Republic one yesterday. Oh it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by, i love hearing from every one of you! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...